I've found many websites detailing various way of putting an iPod Touch 2G in jailbreaking mode. I have obviously not tested all these methods, and some of them are quite long-winded to be honest. Thankfully, there is a very easy way to put your iPod Touch 2G in DFU mode, as detailed below.
1. Switch on your iTouch 2G, and plug it into your PC.
2. Hold the Power and Home buttons for 10 seconds.
3. After 10 seconds, release the Power button, but keep holding the Home button until the iPod goes into DFU mode.
Once thing I've noticed is many websites recommending to let go of the Home button after 8 seconds. However, from what I've observed, this is not necessary since the iPod will stay into DFU mode even if you keep holding the Home button for more than 8 seconds.
There are also a couple of things you can do to make the jailbreaking process easier:
- Keep your iPod plugged into your PC with audio on. You should hear the standard ding noise when you release the Power button after 10 seconds and hear it again once the Ipod goes into DFU mode.
- Open up your Windows clock, and time Step 2 above for exactly 10 seconds.
- To make things even simpler, you can also download QuickFreedom. If you have QuickFreedom open while trying to get into DFU mode, the QuickFreedom status bar will inform you whenever your iPod has been successfully put into DFU mode.
My next post will be a tutorial on the easiest way to jailbreak your iPod Touch 2G.